Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Finished (Audiobook) "Here Comes Trouble" - Michael Moore

I've always had a soft spot for Michael Moore.  Growing up in Windsor, I saw the effects of changes to the auto industry, which he made explicit in "Roger and Me" a documentary about the abandonment of Flint, MI by the General Motors corp.

I wasn't that thrilled with the start of "Here comes trouble", as I was not really interested in the dating scene in Michael's high school, his early crushes, or his birth story.  However, I'm certainly glad I continued with the book, as there are several really interesting events that are retold:

  • As a young man Michael was working in a "distress line" type youth centre and had to deal with a suicidal man with a gun;
  • Michael ran as an 18 year old (on election day) for the school board as a response to his treatment in high school - the politics of the area and the board are fascinating;
  • A near miss at a terrorist attack in a European airport;
  • Hearing the commencement of the outsourcing plan for industry in the U.S. in the '80's;
  • the learning and rationale to his first film ("Roger and Me") and his treatment after winning the oscar for " Bowling for Columbine";
  • Talking about the priest who blessed the atomic bombs dropped in Japan in WWII and his subsequent feelings about the issue.
Michael Moore has led a much more interesting and varied life that I would have thought.  I did find several of the stories required me to sit in my own driveway for several minutes to hear the ending - not a bad advertisement for an audiobook.

No comments:

Post a Comment