Sunday, December 29, 2013

Finished (E-Reader) - "The First Phone Call from Heaven" - Mitch Albom


I can't say I really liked this particular book.  Again, it has a positive story - people are getting calls from dead relatives, with enough details to convince those called that they were their relative and that they were in the afterlife, which is magnificent.
I am a big fan of Mitch Albom's books - they tend to be very positive storylines and interesting stories.



Early in the book I had a foreboding that the book couldn't end well - it either had to belittle the faith of the "receivers" or have some "Stephen King" ending, neither of which were in line with what I read Albom's books for.

Spoilers ---------------------

I did find the conclusion to be a not very convincing "Stephen King" ending, preferable only to a "pooping on faith" ending.  The "somebody" having access to enough information and tech know-how to "fool" living relatives seemed far fetched and a little ex machina.

As a read, I don't regret reading it, but would not rank it among Albom's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment