Monday, January 7, 2013

iPad vs. Kindle (update)

iPad update: having had the iPad for a number of months now, I really like the device.

I read comics exclusively on the iPad, and am very reluctant to use a regular PC or netbook for that purpose.  The screen size is just slightly smaller than a regular comic book page, so the graphics are readable and very clear on the device.  The ability to switch to landscape or to enlarge indivdual pages (as needed) is really simple and useful, and much more responsive than on my Dell Duo.

The downside is the limits Apple places on the device - I can't easily access my home network, so have to load comics through iTunes, which is a pain, and I have t load them to a particular reader - this is an issue when a particular comic is unreadable - it is difficult to tell if it is a conflict between the file format and the particular reader, or some larger problem with that particular comic scan, as you'd have to go back to iTunes and load into another app to check.  (I suspect it is the odd comic that is scanned at a peculiarly high resolution).

I love surfing the web, and more particularly, RSS feeds and other apps that pull together relevant links for me.  I also like the e-mail functionality, having multiple in-boxes and a common in-box - all easily accessible.

However, for straight-up reading of books, I still defer to the Kindle (I have a Kindle DX, along with an older Sony e-reader - the 505, and an even older 500).  For any extended period of reading, the Kindle kicks butt - it is clearer, easier on the eyes, and never a problem with battery life.

Reading of magazines (or comics) or any other graphics-heavy format, the iPad or similar devices will certainly be a better fit.  But for reading text, keep an e-reader handy - it is designed specifically for that task.

No comments:

Post a Comment