Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Finished (E-Reader) - "Duty and Honour" - Grant Blackwood


Image result for Duty and honor

I have been a fan of Tom Clancy for many years, particularly the mainline Jack Ryan stories (e.g. Cardinal of the Kremlin, Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games...).  However, as Tom Clancy has died, Grant Blackwood has taken over the writing of the Jack Ryan books.

I must say that I look forward to reading this series, but have been somewhat disappointed that the depth of the stories seems lacking in the Blackwood versions over the prior Clancys.  What I liked about the Clancy books was that they'd take you "behind the scenes" and you'd get a feeling of understanding what the world looks like from an undercover CIA operative, or a retired special forces guy working for an undercover spy agency.
The Blackwood "Ryan" books seem to lack that level of depth, and move more toward a simple villain chasing story with lots of "Hardy Boys" level of lucky escapes ("Good think the gun jammed, or I'd have had it").

I was also able to run through the book pretty quickly, which removed some of the pleasure of "living with" the characters for a while.

This won't stop me from reading the next one though.

No comments:

Post a Comment